Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Downeast to the Downeastah: New Gloucester to Portland (5/27/13)


HORSES ON RTE 26

Ride: New Gloucester to Portland (Amtrak to Boston) West End to Winter Hill
Total Miles: 31.5
Pivo Index: 5

I met Grant on the Waterfront in Portland.  And he says: “So, you ran a 30 mile race yesterday and then rode here; are you trying to make me feel bad?”

“Well,” I said, “My friends Kate and Alex are riding all the way to Newburyport (100+ miles) after he ran the 50 mile race.”

"That doesn't make me feel bad; that's just kinda crazy..."

The day before I had run the Pineland Farms 50k, for my first ultramarathon.  So, on Memorial Day I decided - like last year - to go on a ride through Maine that eventually led me to the Downeaster.   I rode 26 miles down Route 26 into Portland and met Grant for lunch.

The owners of Novare Res have a new brew pub called In'Finiti Fermentation & Distillation.  The place was not only a brew pub but carried select high end microbrews from around Portland (and Allagash White for those who don't want to try anything new.) The beers brewed on site - a Black Abbey, an IPA and a Double IPA - were pretty good.  The Oxbow Farmhouse Pale Ale was awesome.

The food was generally meh.  The frites, burger and veggie pita were all middle of the road.  While the pretzels were really good and reminded me of Oktoberfest, they just weren't as large as the real ones (as Thomas demonstrates here).

Afterwards, Grant went to meet his wife while I rode on to the Amtrak Station and caught the Downeaster back to Boston.


No comments:

Post a Comment